- Creating your own language translation
- Updating existing language translations
- Upload new language translations to your web site
- Set the language on your web site
Current available languages in Jigoshop:
- Brazilian Portuguese
en_GB(Jigoshop default language)
This guide will show you how to use one of these translations.
Don't see your language on the list above? Want to create your own translation? Follow the Create your own translation section of this article.
We'd also love to bundle your custom
translation in with Jigoshop. So if you're offering it to us, shoot
us an email and we'll make it happen!
Creating your own language translation
Download and install Poedit.
In Poedit, go to File > New Catalog from POT , and select the
jigoshop.potfile, located here:
Fill out the information on the Project Info tab and press OK
A prompt will ask you to save the file, save it under a similar file structure as:
jigoshop-iw_IL.pofor Hebrew. You can find a list of locales (abbreviations) here
Once you're done translating all the strings, save the file. You should notice a new
.mofile next to your
Email us your translated po & mo files and we'll host it up on Jigoshop! You'll receive credits of course :)
For collaboration translating among several translators we warmly recommend POEditor - an open source web application: http://poeditor.com/
POEditor is a free/open-source, web-based software localization tool (without any limitations) that can be used by anyone who creates an account. It does not require any software download so you can access it from any computer, wherever there is an Internet connection and a browser.
Updating existing language translations
Download and install Poedit.
.pofile in Poedit that you'd like to update
In this tutorial, we'll use
jigoshop-es_ES.po, the Spanish translation
Go to Catalog > Update from POT File, and select the
You can find the jigoshop.pot file in two places
- Locate in
- Download online from our Github
- Locate in
Now you'll see an update summary showing you all the new and obsolete strings. Hit OK to delete the old strings and add new ones.
After this continue with Step 5 from the "Create your own translation" section above.
Upload new language translations to your web site
Using an FTP program (or your hosting control panel) connect to your web site
Upload new language .po and .mo files to your WordPress Jigoshop language directory:
Be careful that your new language Jigoshop .po and .mo files follow the language files name pattern like for e.g. the Spanish translation:
Set the language on your web site
a. Web site language setup method using
Add your locale from the list above inside the empty quotes.
For example, for German, replace with
That's all !
b. Web site language setup method using plugin Localize Wordpress
c. Web site language setup method using plugin WordPress language switcher
Commercial SW translation solution
How to create Multilingual Jigoshop?
You can find instructions on original WPML link.
Steps to perform:
- Under WPML > Theme and plugins localization > Select "Translate by WPML"
- On the same page, "Scan the theme for string"
- After scanning, choose "Jigoshop" from "Strings in the plugins" and "Create PO file"
- Save the PO file created on your desktop
- Go to "WPML > String Translation"
- Choose "Import PO file"
- Tick "Also create translations according to the .po file"
- Under "Select what the strings are for", add a new item "plugin Jigoshop"
- Click "Submit"
- This generates >1.800 strings, which can be translated by clicking on the "translations" link next to each one and adding the translation.
- Probably 200 or so of the most common strings need translating.
- Add a new tab to a product page / Custom tabs on product pages?
- Adding a Continue Shopping button to the single product page
- Adding Product Category Terms in a dropdown box for Custom Post Meta
- Add Alternate text on product picture and title
- Adding buttons / info to the end of each product
- View all (171 more)